Sam Pitroda: Public Policy Maker
Adviser to the Prime Minister in Public Information Infrastructure Innovations
India's inclusive growth agenda and its global competitiveness in the new knowledge paradigm will increasingly depend on its ability to provide its citizens access to information and quality public services in key areas such as education, health and governance.
To realize this, the country would need a systemic shift towards a comprehensive Public Information Infrastructure and a roadmap for innovation geared towards meeting the challenges of the 21st century. These activities will have a revolutionary impact on governance reform and inclusive growth in the country. Towards this end, the Office of Adviser to the Prime Minister will undertake the following tasks:
- Operationalizing the National Knowledge Network to interconnect all educational and research institutions
- Overseeing broadband connectivity to Panchayats and enabling citizen interface to improve delivery of public services and citizen empowerment
- Promoting greater use of Information Communications Technology in Public Transport Systems
- Promoting greater use of Information Communications Technology in the Justice System
- Developing an Action Plan for a Decade of Innovation
National Knowledge Commission, Chairman
The National Knowledge Commission is a high-level advisory body to the Prime Minister of India, with the objective of transforming India into a knowledge society. In its endeavor to transform the knowledge landscape of the country, the National Knowledge Commission has submitted around 300 recommendations on 27 focus areas during its three and a half year term LUhile the term of the NKC has come to an end, the implementation of NKC's recommendations is currently underway at the Central and State levels
Terms of Reference:
- Build excellence in the educational system to meet the knowledge challenges c the 21st century and increase India's competitive advantage in fields of knowledge.
- Promote creation of knowledge in Science B Technology laboratories.
- Improve the management of institutions engaged in intellectual property rights.
- Promote knowledge applications in agriculture and industry
- Promote the use of knowledge capabilities in making government an effective, transparent and accountable service provider to the citizen and promote widespread sharing of knowledge to maximize public benefit.
India's foreign and domestic telecommunications policies. Through focus on indigenous technology in telecom he laid the foundation for the telecommunication revolution in India.